Estimated Read Time: 4 Minutes
You're Not Failing. You're in the Zone.
What Learning Is Supposed to Feel Like (and Why
Most People Quit Right Before It Works)
By Ryan Standifird
Back in high school, I ran cross country.
On Saturdays, our long run took us up to the Santa Rosa Plateau, a rolling trail overlooking the Murrieta Valley. Ten miles, up and back.
And when I first started… I couldn't do it.
Not all at once, anyway. A few miles in, my legs would go heavy, my lungs would burn, and I'd wonder if I should have signed up for a different sport.
But I couldn’t stop. Stopping killed my momentum. Instead, I'd slow to a walk and take a few deep breaths. Then I'd pick a tree up the trail and tell myself, "Okay… when I get to that tree, I'll start running again."
Tree after tree. Week after week.
Until one Saturday, I ran all ten miles without walking once.
Why Today Is a Good Day to Start Something
I'm thinking about that trail today because it's Labor Day. A day we set aside to rest from work… and, oddly, a day a lot of us feel the itch to start something new.
That’s because according to researchers at the Wharton School, people are far more likely to go after a goal right after a "temporal landmark" - a new week, a new month, a birthday, a holiday. They call it the fresh start effect.
Part of why it works? A landmark lets you file every past attempt under "the person I used to be." Holidays like today make it easy to draw a line between the “old you” and the “new you.”
So if you've been meaning to learn a new skill or finally change something about yourself, your brain is already leaning in.
The question is what happens a few miles in… when it gets hard.
The Sweet Spot of Struggle
In 2019, a team of researchers from the University of Arizona, Brown, UCLA, and Princeton set out to answer a deceptively simple question:
How hard should something be for you to learn it fastest?
Their answer, published in Nature Communications, was called the Eighty Five Percent Rule.
According to the study, learning happens fastest when you're getting it right about 85% of the time… and wrong about 15% of the time.
The team worked this out mathematically and tested it on learning models, and it lines up with what educators have long called the "zone of proximal development."
So what does this mean for you?
If something feels easy, you're not really learning much.
If it feels impossible, you're not learning much either. You're just failing. And you’ll probably give up.
Growth lives in that uncomfortable middle - where you're mostly getting it, but not quite.
That's where the walk breaks come in.
I didn’t consciously realize it at the time, but when I slowed down on that trail, I wasn't quitting. I was dialing the difficulty back just enough to stay in the game. And when I hit that tree, I dialed it right back up.
I was staying in the 85% sweet spot without knowing it existed.
What the Sweet Spot Looks Like
It's not always a trail. But you've felt it.
It's picking up a guitar and getting through most of the song… except for that one chord change you flub every time.
It's learning a new language and following most of the conversation, until one sentence sails right past you.
It's taking that online course with material just past the edge of what you already know.
It's trying to stop snapping at your kids after a long day, and catching yourself most of the time. Not every time. Most.
None of those feel like winning. That's exactly the point.
If any of them felt easy, there'd be nothing left to learn. If any of them felt impossible, you'd have quit.
The fumbled chord, the lost sentence, the sharp reply you catch a second too late… that's your 15%. It's not proof you're too old, too busy, or not cut out for this.
It's proof you're in the zone.
What It All Comes Down To
I still think about the time I hit that last stretch of trail where the valley opened up below me and I realized… “Hey, I didn't walk once!”
It didn't happen because I pushed harder than everyone else. It happened because I found a way to keep going even when I wanted to quit.
So on this Labor Day, if there's something you've been meaning to learn - or a version of yourself you've been meaning to become - remember this:
You don't have to run the whole ten miles today.
You just have to keep going - even if that means slowing down.
And pick your next tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment