Estimated Read Time: 4 Minutes
The Escalator Effect
Why Passion Is the Fastest Path to Mastery
By Ryan Standifird
A couple of weeks ago, I walked past my son Jack's room and caught him doing something that surprised me.
He was reading.
Not reciting a book he'd memorized. Reading. He had his favorite book flipped over, sounding out the words on the back cover... a thick block of text that I never read to him before.
Here’s what was so shocking to me about this: Jack turns four next month.
And this book isn't exactly Goodnight Moon. It's called The Encyclopedia of Undersea Life for Young Readers, and it's written for kids ages six to nine. I can't pronounce half the fish names in it. When I was his age, my favorite book was Milk and Cookies. A few words per page, tops.
So how does a three-year-old start decoding an encyclopedia?
I have a theory.
Jack is obsessed with sea animals. What whales eat, the different kinds of sharks and sting rays, how an octopus behaves... he can't get enough. And I think he learned to read for one simple reason: so he could get more of what he loves.
The Escalator Effect
Think about learning something new as running up an escalator.
When you're passionate about what you're learning, the escalator is moving with you. Every step you take, the machine carries you a little further. Progress feels almost effortless.
But when you're forcing yourself through something you don't care about, that escalator is moving the other way. You can still make it to the top... but you'll be exhausted.
I saw this in my own life long before Jack came along. In school, I did well in English, science, and PE, the subjects I actually enjoyed. Social studies and math? Not so much.
Turns out, there's a reason for that.
What Curiosity Does to Your Brain
Scientists at UC Davis wanted to find out whether curiosity changed the way we learn new things.
So they put people in a brain scanner, showed them trivia questions, and asked how curious they were about each answer.
When curiosity was high, the brain's reward circuit lit up. That's the same dopamine pathway that fires when you're anticipating something good. And at the same time, the hippocampus, your brain's memory center, also showed increased activity.
The result?
People remembered the answers they were curious about with much more accuracy. Even a full day later.
But that's not all...
They also remembered unrelated things, like random faces that flashed on the screen while they were in that curious state.
Their interest didn't just help them learn the thing they cared about. It opened the door for everything nearby.
Maybe that’s what happened with Jack. He wasn't trying to learn to read. He was trying to learn about blue whales, and reading walked in through the open door.
And it's not just memory. A 40-year analysis of 183 studies, covering more than 200,000 people across school, work, and sports, found that intrinsic motivation (doing something because you want to) is a medium-to-strong predictor of how well you perform and the quality of what you produce.
The escalator is real.
So Why Don't More of Us Ride It?
Here's where a lot of people get stuck: they don't know what they're passionate about.
Maybe someone told you early on to forget that thing and pursue something practical. Maybe you were taught that passion was a luxury you can only engage in once all your other responsibilities are taken care of.
Or maybe you just never got exposed to enough of the world to bump into the thing that lights you up.
If that's you, I get it. And I have some good news.
Researchers at Stanford and Yale-NUS found that people who believe passions are found, sitting out there fully formed and waiting to be discovered, tend to come up short. These folks find something that interests them and start pursuing it, but the moment their new interest becomes difficult, they drop it. They take the difficulty as proof that it wasn't "the one."
On the other hand, people who believe passions are developed keep going.
In other words... you don't find your passion. You grow it. I don’t think Jack fell in love with reading. He fell in love with sea animals, and reading a difficult encyclopedia was simply a means to an end.
Coming Back to the Back Cover
Is Jack a genius? I’d like to think so, but I might be a little biased. I think the more likely answer is that he found his escalator early, and it carried him somewhere I never expected.
Yours is still there. It might be something you were told to put down years ago. It might be something you haven't run into yet. Either way, the science says the same thing a three-year-old showed me on the back of a book:
Nurture the interest, and the mastery follows.
You've got this.
No comments:
Post a Comment