Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Teddy Roosevelt is "proto Hitler," says conservative

View in browser
There is an annoying group of people, not particularly bright, who are trying to police the boundaries of acceptable thought on the right, and they keep getting their heads handed to them.

James Lindsay attributed a quotation from Theodore Roosevelt ("America for Americans") to Hitler, and when called on it, continued like this:


"I don't care if Teddy Roosevelt said it first.... I care that my Department of Homeland Security is leaning into logic and messaging that Adolf Hitler also used to justify his evil, just as it was reaching its peak." And then this generous concession: "Roosevelt can't be blamed for Hitler."

Well, that was gracious. Roosevelt can't be blamed for Hitler! But Joel Berry, another policeman, insists that "calling Roosevelt 'Proto Hitler' is not altogether unfair."

Remember, reader, you are the woke one. You are what they call "woke right." But compare Theodore Roosevelt to Hitler? Why, nothing woke about that at all!


I wrote a chapter critical of TR for a book called Reassessing the Presidency, so I hold no brief for the man. But not because he was a forerunner of Hitler, for heaven's sake.

Then people on the America First right started quoting the Founding Fathers, but with a word or a country name changed here and there, and without the quotation marks, and the policemen started calling the Founding Fathers "woke right," without realizing what they were doing.

The well-known "Insurrection Barbie" account started arguing with Thomas Jefferson and John Jay. Who are these right-wing extremists? Later she started arguing with John Locke, again too right-wing for her.

Another account called someone "woke right" for using words that turned out to belong to Founding Father Gouverneur Morris.

Still another account responded to someone using the words of James Madison by calling him a "Postliberal/Integralist," not realizing he was criticizing James Madison.

They keep walking around stepping on rakes, but since they are incapable of embarrassment, they proceed as if none of it happened.

This particular brand of MAGA personality has a cartoon understanding of the Founding Fathers, whom they are at pains to tell you how much they love, but when you share the Founders' own words with them, without the quotation marks, they're sure they're up against right-wing extremists whom they must vanquish.

Their criticisms of the Founding Fathers are the same as Rachel Maddow's. But you're the woke one, according to them.


I think that pretty much settles whether anyone needs to concern himself with these people.

Now, for something I haven't disclosed in this newsletter until now:

I am going to be working directly with a handful of people, literally in my own living room, and when they leave, each one will have his signature talk battle tested and ready to go.

I'll tell you what's going right, what's going wrong, we'll fix it, and then test it again. You'll leave with a priceless asset.


How can you do this?

The details are in the recording of my encore presentation 
on how to communicate effectively and make a room see things the way you do.

Whatever it is you need to do, in whatever room, you'll be much more successful if you implement what I teach you in this video. (You professionals who would benefit from this, you know who you are.)

But the video comes down tonight, so make the time to watch, and I'll see you in my living room:

 

Tom Woods






This email was sent to fisdmaintenance@gmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Tom Woods · PO Box 701447 · Saint Cloud, FL 34770 · USA

No comments:

Post a Comment